Shilpa Khatri Babbar
Dr. Shilpa Khatri Babbar is currently a Professor in the Vivekananda School of Law and Legal Studies and the Director (Academics and Students’ Welfare) at Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies (VIPS). Her area of research interest is the marginalized segments of society; issues of social inclusion and exclusion, and; stigma. Her writing reflects the inter-disciplinary scholarship of law and society, focusing more on the socio-legal dimensions of gender.
Dr. Shilpa earned her B.A. with Honors from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University (DU) and was awarded the Geeta Chopra Award for Outstanding Merit. She pursued her Masters, M.Phil and did her doctorate from Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University. In her Masters, she was awarded MSA Rao Scholarship and in her M.Phil, she scored the highest percentage in her research paper on ‘Tuberculosis: Illness, treatment and cure from a sociological perspective’. Her doctorate was an extension of her M.Phil research, focusing on ‘Social Perceptions and Management of Tuberculosis’.
Her first teaching assignment was in 1999, at Janaki Devi Memorial College, DU. Before joining VIPS, she was teaching at Jesus and Mary College. She follows a critical/radical pedagogy and celebrates learning through, a dialogue with her students and Audio-Visual tools. She is the Chairperson, Internal Complaints Committee (Sexual Harassment) and is the Nodal Officer, NSS unit at VIPS. She has several publications in internationally renowned journals and is a life member of several renowned societies.
- Member, Research Advisory Committee, M.Phil programme offered in collaboration by Ambedkar University and Centre for Women’s Development Studies, New Delhi
- Member, Board of Examiners for evaluation of the thesis submitted for the M.Phil degree, “Women’s and Gender Studies”, Ambedkar University, Delhi
- Life Member, Indian Sociological Society
- Member, World Lung Foundation – South Asia
- Member, International Sociological Association
- Member of the Advisory Committee of Centre for Women's Studies, Pondicherry University
- Former Member, Selection Board, Himachal Pradesh University
- Formerly, Visitor’s nominee in the Board of Management, Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow (A Central University)